This is my thought about the famed JIO Phone after using it for about a month. I will just provide here the Pros and Cons of the phone in my point of view.
This phone is really good if you:
- Mostly want to use it for calls.
- Want a phone with excellent battery backup.
- Want to use JIO apps like JIO Cinema and TV some times.
You may not find it good enough if you:
- Want to use it as WiFi hotspot.
- Want to watch JIO TV or Cinema for long time (Screen is too small for that).
- Want to use social apps like Facebook or Whatsapp.
However, there are not many alternatives in the market for JIO Phone except the Micromax Bharat 1. But that too has its own Pros and Cons which I’ll cover in another review. One can go through both before deciding in favour of any one.
I’ve also read somewhere that Nokia is going to release 4G version of its legendary 3310 soon, so let’s see what the future holds for this segment.
Find below a pictorial representation of the pros and cons.
- Import Google Contacts directly over internet. This is a big benefit. Many people I know stay away from feature phones just because they'll have to type in all contacts to it.
- The provision of connecting to a TV using a cable and watch so many channels using JIO tv even if it's not part of your cable or satellite package.
- Has WiFi. You don't need to download bigger firmware updates using mobile data, you can connect to your home or office WiFi and download.
- Good battery backup. I'm a moderate user and it went on for 2 and a half days on one full charge.
- Good quality of call and internet connectivity.
- Has a dedicated SD card slot.
- Price. Rs 1500 is not bad for a phone running stripped down version of android that has potential to add features going forward.
- Only JIO sim can be used. It's not mandatory to buy a new JIO SIM along with the phone if you already have one.
- No whatsapp or facebook apps available yet, but since the software is based on android, it may come some day if JIO wants.
- The TV cable isn't part of the package. The cable is not even available in India now. Some videos in youtube show the cable, but no info on when it'll be available in India.
- No sound recorder option available.
- No WiFi hotspot. You can't use this phone as a WiFi hotspot.
- Single SIM only.
Kindly refer to the About Me page at https://anindrasblog.com/about-me